Competitive Examinations Coaching Centre
In accordance with the Prime Minister's 15 point Programme, University Grants Commission, formulated a coaching scheme for Minorities in 1984 and selected Osmania University to start a coaching centre. Later, the Department of Social Welfare, Government of Telangana came forward with coaching programmes for Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribes candidates. The coaching Centre enjoys functional autonomy and is guided by an Advisory Committee with Vice-Chancellor as the Chairman and Director of the Coaching Centre as its convener to coordinate the activities.
Objectives of the Centre
To organize appropriate coaching classes to prepare candidates belonging to socially and educationally backward and minority groups for competing in various Competitive Examinations for recruitment to services under the Central & State Governments, and Nationalized banks.
To provide guidance in choosing a career.
To provide coaching facilities for EAMCET and other Entrance Examinations.
Mission of the Centre
Educational development of weaker sections amongst educationally backward minority communities, Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes.
Status of the Centre
The Centre has functional autonomy and has an Advisory Committee with the Vice-Chancellor of Osmania University as its Chairperson. The Centre is headed by the Director, and assisted by two Co-ordinators and Office Staff.
Activities of the Centre
Coaching is provided for the following competitive Examinations;
- Central Service - UPSC Preliminary Examinations.
- State Services - APPSC Group - I Services.
- Engineering Services and GATE Programmes for Engineering Students.
- Public Sector Banks-BSRB examinations for Probationary Officers and Clerical Grade positions.
- The Reserve Bank of India Services.
- National Bank for Agricultural and Rural Development Services.
- Life Insurance Corporation Services.
Coaching classes are organized throughout the year with a separate schedule for each examination as the competitive examinations are spread over the whole year. Resource Persons/teachers with specialised knowledge in different disciplines from Universities and premier institutes are invited to deliver lectures and provide coaching and guidance to students. Besides these, group discussions and mock Interviews are organized. The Centre also has a core group of eminent professors in different subjects who are actively involved in various coaching programmes.
The Centre has a good library for the benefit of the students with a collection of 3000 books. It subscribes to 10 journals/periodicals and five newspapers.
Study Material by way of notes on important topics is provided to the students on various subjects.
The Coaching Centre has the following objectives:
- To organise coaching progammes for S.C.s, S.T.s and Minorities to prepare them for various competitive examinations
- To offer career guidance and counselling
- To provide reference books and reference materials useful for competitive examinations